Thursday, January 7, 2010

You can just call me Teacher Dixie


On Tuesday Mom, the foster kittens and I went to visit Mom's cousin Laura's Girl Scout Troop. Mom talked about being good, responsible pet owners and about service dogs and what to do if you see one.Mom said I was there to show them what a good service dog does when they are out in public with their owner. Which, when Mom is in one place for a long time, means me laying down and taking a nap! Don't worry though, I am always on alert for Mom's attacks.


After Mo finished her presentation, she took off my backpack and let me be off duty so I could say hello to the girls and get some pets. They were all really nice and gave me lots of pets and let me give them lots of kisses!

The kittens (who still haven't found a forever home!) also came and got to play with the girls too. They had a good time but they were exhausted when we got home and went straight to bed!

As most of you know, I am a Catahoula Leopard Dog/American Pit Bull Terrier. In our area, dogs with square heads and big chests are feared and many people think they will "snap" and eat everyone. Mom says that she wants us to pay it forward to other dogs, so I am an ambassador for my breeds (which I think is a kind of silly title but, hey, if it makes others think differently, I am all for it).
It went very well! The girls listened and learned a lot and asked Mom great questions. Mom will hopefully get to speak at some of the other troops that meet at this church. We both really enjoyed it (Mom was a TA before she got sick and loved teaching her students!).

3 comments:

  1. I think you are a wonderful example of a superior dog no matter the breed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Dixie, you is gud am-bass-uh-door dawgy! You iz luckee you did maked so meny new frends! Hay, cud you asked your mom dat if she had any of her informashuns on being gud hyoman to da animuls cud she shared wif my mom for wen we go talked to da littul hyomans abowt da bad petted stores and da backed-yard breeding stuffs?
    Kisses & Snuggles - Buddy Dawg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teaching w/ animals is excellent!!!
    Ou mom taught primary school for 27years and frequently had critter visitors!
    Looks like you were a big hit!!!
    Licks and sniffs,
    Zack, Sassy and Buddy

    ReplyDelete